Monday, May 11, 2009

What A Mom's Day!

The clan gathered at my niece's place near Fayetteville for Mom's Day. Bridget and her husband Wayne, put on a great meal, Granny Pat did a cake to go along with my older sister's Birthday Cake and nephew Tommy made off with every bit of cake left over....which wasn't much after his devastating attack on the cakes at lunch time.

I was treated to a bit of exploring by my Niece's older Son Joel and his buddy Caleb. We took a short ten mile forced march through the wilds of Cumberland County, climbed a mountain, circled around a really pretty fishing pond....eased through a derelict house trailer site and eventually found our way back to the Cake Crumbs.

Walking with Joel and Caleb reminded me of growing up in Winston-Salem with all of the great outdoors at our back door step. Tommy Whitlow, Jimmy Hutchins ,and I had the time of our lives hiking and messing about the woods and Salem Creek. What is now strip malls, four lane roads, and housing areas were just farm land and timber when we were growing up.

I got back to Luna right at dark to be met by a black flash and the clatter of cat hooves on the dock.....as Frady was very glad to see the Ship's Cook back on duty.

About an hour later.....he fell into the cabin howling and screaming....hissing and really sounding like the World was coming to an end. A quick investigation discovered he was working on knocking off part of his Cat Life Ration. From all appearances, it looked as though he might have had a compound fracture of his left hind leg as there was a six inch long scrape and a puncture type wound bleeding a bit on the inside of his leg. We spent a long, long, night....him hurting and me worrying.

I took him to the Chowan Animal Hospital and was standing in their door when they opened. After a bit of wait they got him into the examining room and did a check of the leg. I must admit the Vet has some awfully good reflexes....as Frady was well ahead on strikes but had not made contact. He was at a bit of a handicap as he could only use one hind foot to brace and I had hold of him around the head and neck.

When they took him back for a visit with the X-Ray Tech.....I could hear his protests all the way in the front office. Frady was not amused by the bedside manner back there. After a few minutes one of the Vets showed up with form for me to sign so they could sedate Frady as they had run out of courage and welding gloves.

The good news is the young lad has some cuts and abrasions.....no broken bones but does have some really sore muscles and tendons. He will be hobbling around for a week or so.

If he would put on his "Visit the Vet" warface when confronted with dogs.....I would change his name to "King Fish" as he would sure never have to run away. Hell....he scares me when he gets into that mode! Way back at the start of this Blog I recounted my $300 dollar visit to my own Doctor after ignoring Frady's request to leave him be!

So....a bit of rain today, an ailing Shipmate, marina fuel pump broke down.....so time for a nap as I did not get very much sleep last night. Frady is already sacked out having sorted out the Vet Crew and organized the Ship's Cook for dinner in bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment