To catch up on the past week or so events.....I am guilty of "Ungentlemanly Conduct" but plead the best of intentions as an excuse. I set off from Edenton despite a weather forecast that fell a bit short of perfect. Way short as it turned out!
I found myself weaving in and about zillions of crabpots in the Albemarle Sound while beating into the mild wind forecast by the Guessologists. The Weather Guesser's must be very optimistic folks as I found the wind to be a wee tad stronger than forecast and the sea state a lot different than they opined. When I turned south into the Alligator River I discovered Luna could rear up and almost whinny before plunging into waves stacked up on top of one another. The ride was akin to driving cross furrow in a Tobacco Patch. Frady was not amused.
It is said "A Gentleman never sails to wind!" I must be a very crude lout in that case. Luna actually took some waves over the bow as the wind peaked at between 35 and 40 knots for a stretch. I made it to the north end of the Alligator River Canal and anchored in the lee of the shore and had a nice night....after donating my Thirty Five Pound Danforth Anchor to Davy Jones Locker. The rope rode I had it attached to parted as I backed down to confirm the anchor was set.
Next day was more of the same....beat my way to Clubfoot Creek and anchored across from Matthews Point to discover the Generator would not power the battery charger. Next morning with a really ugly weather forecast for an extended Nor'Easterner, I decided to head over to Oriental and hide out at SailCraft Marina. That also allowed "Bob the Electrical Guru" at Sailcraft to wave his magic wand over the Generator/Charger problem and cure that one for me.
It was old home week there.....ran into Ray and his family....they live aboard a 36 foot sloop and home school their two Son's. Earl and Karen off"Temptation" were back from the Bahamas, Jim and Susie were there working on their boat "Skat". Buck dropped by to visit Jim and Earl....and yet another couple from Matthews Point was there for a quick visit for TV antenna work.
Earl, Karen, Jim , Susie and I played Mexican Train Dominoes and tippled a few fine drinks aboard "Temptation". I felt like the "Klampetts Come to Hollywood" when I go aboard that boat! "Temptation" is a very pretty Endeavour 42 and looks like brand new! She makes one want to put on underwear!
While on a walk downtown, I ran into Styron Sherrill, who was leaving his office at Fulcher Seafood. He was being led by his five month old Chocolate Lab who was one very pretty fellow. The dog was on a leash.....one of those extendable things....but instead of being clipped to it...he had the end in his mouth which is the way he does leashes according to Styron.
After the Nor'easter calmed down, I went back to Matthews Point and met up with Randy and Rob from R&R Diving, who cleaned Luna's hull and inspected the zinc's. Randy reckons the zinc's are fine even after having been on the boat for eight months. I think I have the electrolysis problem sorted out finally. Joe from the "Big Kahuna" was down working on his boat and joined me for dinner at anchor in the creek. Taylor and Peggy (she of the knee dancing to the blue screen of death fame) stopped for a visit. They are still gushingly in love since marrying in October. Jeff and Mary Ellen were prepping for a week long trip on "Precious Cargo" along with his yellow Lab and her white Boxer. Jeff is starting a new career as a City Police Officer at Emerald Isle. Mary Ellen, his girlfriend is a travelling nurse and seems quite a keeper!
Plans are to fuel at Matthews Point and then begin a leisurely return to Edenton. The weather forecast is for pretty weather but with low winds....from behind me this time thus it should be a more gentlemanly trip northwards.
Docked in Brunswick
14 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment