Friday, May 29, 2009

Gremlins and Crab Pots

The week has been spent chasing the Gremlins that haunt the electrical system.....and it seems to be about a tie so far. The Generator is up and running...does fine for an hour then odd things begin to occur. The Gremlins are much like Frady....turn your back for a moment and they will try to eat your lunch for you.

A quick phone call to Scotty Harrell resulted in Thomas Grant showing up at the boat to help me with the troubleshooting on the generator problem. Naturally, the generator behaved itself while the Gremlins hid and snickered.

After a quick shower I went down to Sean's for an adult malt beverage or two and got to gaze into the Blender Bosun's eyes....that is worth the trip all by itself! Alas, she tried to whack off a finger while slicing some bread but soldiered right on afterwards. I would have passed right out and had to call for an ambulance if it had been me.

In a weak moment, I wandered into the back bar at Sean's when I heard refrains of "Okie from Muskogee" playing on the juke box. In a weaker moment, I stayed.

Well into the evening, coin games started much to the entertainment of Erin, Cindy, and Jeannie.

They were held mesmerized by one particular magic trick performed by one of the patrons who was in time convinced to give up the secret to the trick in return for a one quarter cut of the next ten years tips the bar tenders would get.....or somethng like that as I remember it.

While talking to Thomas yesterday, he laughed when I made mention of how many crab pots there are in the Sound. He says in a few weeks there will be far more than now....as if that could be possible. The Albemarle Sound is supposed to a real haven for soft shell crabs and folks make very good money crabbing. A bushel (about forty crabs) fetches One Hundred and Twenty Dollars which makes for a good paycheck when you can pull pots every third day and generate about Sixteen Hundred Dollars per haul.

Now if it were not so much work.....Time for a nap and study this crabbing thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment