Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Cat Is Back!

Ship's Cat Frady went UA yesterday.....he missed morning muster and was put on report for being Absent Without Leave. He arrived in time for Evening Colors and was duly recorded as being back aboard. He was covered in cobwebs and dirt which suggested he has found some interesting places underneath the docks that needed exploring. The good news is he was not converted into a "Sail Cat" out on the highway.

Several interesting people appeared on the dock today....some had boats here and others were boaters just taking a wander around the docks looking at the boats moored here. One fellow was a Blimp Mechanic working for a company at Elizabeth City and who owns a 32 Foot Westsail Sloop he is restoring up in Jersey City, NJ.

The couple who own the Hunter Sloop next door were down giving the boat a bit of a bath. Well, the First Mate was.....the Captain spent time with me discussing the progress the Mate was having on the boat scrubbing. Gail, the Mate, who I thought to be the Captain's daughter turned out to be his wife. Captain Barry has done well for himself in my opinion.

After a while I stated that I could not stand around and watch a woman work.....so I went below and got tucked into my lunch and a finished a book by John Sandford entitled "Hidden Prey". Sandford tells a great yarn and I have read about a dozen of his books so far.

Next on the reading list is "Duffy's War", about Chaplain Patrick Duffy of the Fighting 69th Infantry during World War I. It appears to be an excellent historical account of the 69th's fighting in the trenches along with telling Duffy's story. I can see crossover's between the book and the James Cagney film....."The Fighting 69th".

Up early tomorrow morning to take half the propane system into the gas dealer for his service guy to replace the tank connectors. This is yet another chapter of the never ending saga of the "Grill Doesn't Work Right" saga.

I have found a way for a young person to make a golden living.....become good at Propane, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration for boats. Add in AC and DC electrics.....and they could earn a very good living if they did good work and showed up when promised.

Sundowners tonight.....frozen margaritas!

No comments:

Post a Comment