Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Gas Grill Saga Continues

I was up early yesterday and removed all the above deck plumbing for the propane system and carried the bits out to Western Gas for their Service guy "George" to work on. I enjoyed a great cup of coffee and some interesting talk with the two Ladies in the office while George did his thing in the back room. After about an hour, with two new tank connectors, a bit of new hose, and one hose cleaned out with a burst or two of high pressure air.....I was billed a wee sum (actually) and sent back to the boat to re-install the lines. Frady rode along to make sure I found the place.

Hooking the hoses back up to the manifold proved to be interesting (in cruiser lingo that means lots of sailor language and high blood pressure). The kind fellow who had installed the propane system had hidden the manifold inside a water proof plastic box which meant a regular box end wrench would not work. He also bored the entrance holes in the bottom of the box offset from the connections so the hoses were crooked when hooked up.....which made getting them attached a real pleasure. (NOT!). I dug out my crow's foot wrenches, battery powered drill and hole bits, and proceeded with the job. That is after re-charging the battery as both of them were flat. That did not become apparant until the drill bit came into contact with the plastic box.

In the end....it all came together with properly located holes for the hoses, and the connections all done up nice and tight.

Then.....time to light the grill and get the thawed steaks out of the Fridge.

One small problem....the grill does not work at all now!

This is a simple system....even a Dull Third Grader such as myself should be able to sort this out....really! I flew helicopters, right?

Anyway....I at least have something to ponder while running the blender for this evenings Sundowners.

This morning upon arising from my slumber, I discovered Frady had left me a Trophy again....another bull frog. I hollered for him as he was no where to be seen....and in just a minute I spied him crossing the road from the wood lot on the far side. He ran the whole way back to the boat taking a wide detour from the flock of Canadian Geese that live up at slip 64. He got his five minutes of quality time and still smells of Apple Shampoo from his bath yesterday.

I've decided to quit worrying about him getting whacked by a car on the highway....he is enjoying his roaming and as I have done much of the same all my life perhaps I might as well accept he is doing the same. I reckon sailors just enjoy a good run ashore when they can.

No comments:

Post a Comment