Monday, May 25, 2009

Trip North and Memorial Day!

Pulled anchor bright and early on a lovely morning in Clubfoot Creek and headed North by East.

Enjoyed a nice cup of Tea while running into the wind such as it was but near Bay River the wind was showing a bit over ten knots and up went all the sails and the clattering old Perkins was given a rest. Shortly fired up the stove and fried up some bacon and made a good BLT for morning chow. I motored sailed for the short canal run then up went all the sails again and made good time around Belhaven and pulled into Slade Creek at a reasonable hour. The Quick Set anchor did it's thing and fired up the grill to do three chicken breasts.

While I had my back turned my little shipmate Frady grabbed one off the platter for himself and tucked into his poached grilled chicken without giving me an invite or thank you. Seems he has a fondness for my chow as he bears watching when the cereal and milk are set down for even the least time.

The day was such a pleasure.....good wind...full sails....Missisippi John playing....and no where North Carolina gliding by at a stately rate. When I cross that final Bar I know what Heaven will look like. Alas chances are I will be wearing asbestos clothing praying for a cold day and looking for a bit of ice water and not cruising such fine waters.

The second day out I ran to Little River off the Albemarle. I understand now what "SO" means on a nautical chart. Simply put it means "soggy bottom" which rejects "Quick Set" anchors by mysterious means. I wore out the electric capstan winch and my arms trying a half dozen times to get the anchor to set. I finally ran deeper into the river amidst a few odd million crabpots to a gorgeous spot tucked behind Long Point. I was getting a bit anxious as it was rapidly getting dark and I was running out of options. The anchor set immediately and life got good again.

The next morning arrived as pretty as it's predecessor! The run out Little River in mirror like calm water was interesting as I found the only lane mostly clear of crabpots. Unlike the night before when it was hop scotch, mine sweeper, and spin the wheel all rolled into one.....the morning run was almost boring. But then....I got into the Albemarle Sound again! There are fine mansion like homes lining the banks of the sound and I know these folks don't run Crab Traps and in the absence of working folks houses, I really wonder who owns these zillions of pots.

Upon arriving at Edenton, Frady immediately dove under the dock at the fuel dock and did not appear till the next morning. He stopped by to confirm the day's menu, downed his breakfast, had a quick bath and disappeared.

Young Shannon called and made reservations at Chez Luna. I did a panic clean up of the boat and myself finishing just in time for her arrival. We grilled steaks, fired up the blender, and enjoyed a nice night on deck chatting and ended the night looking at a Bill Murray movie which spoofs Jacque Cousteau. Half way through the movie we got a scare! A heck of a howling and screeching came from the cockpit where Frady was on the Midnight to Four watch.

When Shannon and I got up where we could see what was going on....young Frady was telling in Cat Slang the ground rules for Cats on Luna to what looked like his twin. As best as we could make out Frady was telling the other Cat he (Frady) was on a very good lick and did not desire any freeloaders, moochers, trespassers, or competition thank you very much.

Why can he not do this to Pooches? Must be a translation issue!

Bright and too early for Shannon, we hit the Bayside for breakfast and sought the answer to the missing biscuits that had been reported by some folks that had been given my rave review of the treats at the Cafe. Bill finally awoke from his nap and suggested he had been swamped with business the day the couple had stopped by and had been unable to do the biscuits as he normally does. He more than made up for that this morning I must say. I even got Shannon to eat half of one after her five course meal. She being a starving Co-Ed ordered half the menu beginning with a foot high stack of pancakes, a pound of bacon, and a quick dozen of eggs. She must have hidden half of it behind her ear.

So good news....Biscuits remain in place at the Bayside Cafe, Frady is enjoying his shore leave, Shannon had a bit of boating, and I got to enjoy her company. I sent her home with a care package of Beef Curry in a casserole dish. I opined a nice Peach Cobbler in the returned dish would be a fair trade. She prides herself on being a "Baker".....perhaps we shall see!

Today is Memorial Day...and was a marked by the very kind thoughts some friends and family sent me by e-mail. Those kind thoughts mean a lot to me and remind me of just how lucky I am.

If wealth is measured by the number and quality of your friends then I am rich beyond my dreams.

While reading my younger Sister's note, I was taken back to my departure from home for my second tour in Vietnam. She and my folks were there to see me off and I can still see that as clear as the day it happened. Tusser (sister) was old enough to understand what it was all about and I have to admit it was a hard thing to stay all happy and upbeat despite knowing what a year away from home in that place was all about.

We all remember those who are serving but we overlook the families who have to wait it out at home with all the worry and never knowing when that sad message will arrive saying their loved one is not coming home as prayed for.

Remember those who wait and think what a poor trade a Flag is for a Loved One.

We have troops fighting in many places of the world today and there are families paying the price for our Freedom. Thank them when you can.....both those fighting and those they have at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment