Yesterday was a great sailing day....rained in buckets, that cold kind of rain...really cold!
So...I did some errands that I had been putting off and ran into downtown thinking it would be a bit tamer in the daylight. It was....oh my but the difference a bit of sunlight makes even if it is a dark, wet, rainy day.
Anyway...back to the original premise of this post. Boats are talked of as being of the female gender. I cannot tell you why right off hand but can give you some ideas why this has come about.
They love to have you spend money on them....matter of fact they demand it. It matters not if it is a large wad, a small donation, or just a constant drain on your purse....but you shall spend money on them. Lots of money....a whole lot of money!
They demand constant attention....stray away from them for even a moment or two and they know. They will punish you for that straying eye or absent hand.
They are unpredictable....quite fickle indeed. One day they will be happy,make you feel their love then turn around the next and make you rue the day you took up with them.
Last night Luna sought to remind me of the Laws of the Sea as pertains to boats and those who sail in them.
I gave a visit to the now "non-preferred Irish Bar" and found it less a sports bar and more an Irish Bar. Thus I had ended a day where I had spent little time on the boat. I also did not do any kind of chore or project. Being a cheap fellow (one gets that way when you have other strident demands for your coin) I had not run the heat pumps but relied upon the one mere portable radiator that Frady cares so much for to keep Luna warm.
As I climbed into bed....got the covers all adjusted...it came to me suddenly that I was afloat.
The mattress and pillow were sopping wet!
A bit of investigation, after I toweled off and changed PJ's, found the stern ports were acting as condensers for all of the humidity in the boat and had dripped down onto the mattress.
So...Luna in a snit fit over my being away had poured cold water into my bed and forced me to sleep on the settee in the main cabin next to Frady who was happily curled around the radiator.
Now both heat pumps are running and drying the air in the boat and in time will dry the mattress. I can hear the electric meter just clicking away.....tatatatatatatatatat!
Luna just like a woman scorned ... threw me out of bed.
If I spend all day aboard, pay attention to some projects making several offerings of peace, spend that money on the electricity....hopefully Luna will let me back into her bed tonight!
Ah, it is the sailor's life for me! Don't you just love it?
Docked in Brunswick
14 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment