The past week has been a bit slow...several cold fronts blew through and brought a bit of wind...not much cold weather....rocked the boat about a bit at the slip.
Bad news recently, a PHI S-76-C with eight persons aboard crashed in Louisana and killed all aboard the aircraft. Sounds like a mechanical failure of some kind as the weather was good at the time of the accident. This reminds me of the risks we faced over the years flying helicopters.
Went to Cubbie's (my very most favorite burger joint) and had lunch. Seated next to me was a young fellow, a former Marine. He was in a wheel chair....had two mechanical legs and a mechanical arm. I talked to the waitress and told her I would be buying the Marine's lunch and also for his two companions who appeared to be Veteran's Service Officers of some kind.
I asked the waitress, when they tried to pay their bill, to tell the young man how proud he and his generation had done us old farts and to thank him for his service.....and not to tell him who it was bought his lunch beyond saying "...a Vietnam Veteran". It was a very unfair thing to do I guess....as he will have looked around and tried to figure out who it was that had done that for him. I got my reward....in the form of a great big warm hug from that young lady who took my money. Seems her brother is a Marine.
The cost of war....and the price of freedom our young people are willing to pay....we owe this generation so much.
Docked in Brunswick
14 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment