Sunday, January 11, 2009

Don't It Beat All!

Awoke just after Five this morning to the sound of my favorite halyard whanging away on the main mast....and rain pelting down....and a feline sitting next to the bunk telling me it was time to serve breakfast. I ignored the halyard, enjoyed the rain sounds, but there was no ignoring the Cat. Cat's do not fall for the pretend I am sleeping trick....they know you are not asleep.

So...got up..fed the Cat...and brewed a cup of coffee and enjoyed the morning.

Now as to how the Lord works in mysterious ways.

Young fair Shannon, a UNC-W student in her final semester, came along for dinner and brought a friend. I met Shannon on a trip to Vietnam and grew fond of her during the trip and we have continued our acquaintance since.....translates to I dangle a steak dinner and she finds time in her schedule to show up for dinner. Gentlemen.....college girls enjoy a good dinner!

Anyway....back to the friend.

The young lady began the Cook's tour on her own while Shannon and I were catching up on events and I picked up the tour at the Forward Cabin. We chatted about the boat as we went aft and she showed interest in what was being said.

Most guests do that.

As we reached the walk through and the engine room compartment....I made my usual joke about how much the Ladies enjoy seeing the engine room and opened the entrance hatch to the engine room.

Bless my trousers but she dropped to her knees,....crawled half way into the engine room...pulled the throw cushion off the top of the engine and correctly identified the engine as being a Perkins...pointed out a bit of oil in the bilge under the engine...asked about leaks....and absolutely amazed me when she said she was a properly licensed Marine Engineer with documented sea time.

I was completely and totally taken by this fair young lady!

When she suggested she missed the sea going life and things mechanical afloat....I very kindly (at least in my view) offered her an open invitation to feel free to come aboard Luna and get all greasy. Seemed the right thing to say at the time....really!

Shannon did say early on that she felt I would like her friend. Shannon my dear....you have British style understatement down pat.

Shannon also said she is doing an Internship now at the North Carolina Underwater Archaeology Lab at Fort Fisher and is loving it! She has taken up surfing, hopes to complete a Scuba certification soon and has the potential for becoming a real water baby. Now all we have to do is get her graduated, employed, and paying taxes.

Katie, the friend, added to the evening by telling us of her time at sea and how it profoundly changed her life.....and made her a Shell Back....no mere Pollywog this woman.

Frady, the little rat, warmed immediately to Katy and refreshed his affair with Shannon.

Now if I could just get the same attention he does....life would be grand!

No comments:

Post a Comment