Monday, January 12, 2009

Sunday Night in Downtown Wilmington


Having some free time on my hands last night...I went downtown to enjoy a pint of Guinness or two at my preferred Irish Bar. Somewhere in the past few days it morphed into a typical sports bar complete with mindless morons yelling and whooping at unfathomable events on the Television.

Now I am a Wake fan being from Winston-Salem and as much as I root against UNC....I still fail to see the need to act as though one were practicing for the annual Hollering contest at Spivey's Corner in a nice place as it was. Someone's Momma did a very poor job of raising some young'uns in my opinion.

Thus, I left that place....and hoofed it over to Paddy's Hollow. Along the way I passed a group of Buskers playing on the side walk. They had a blue bean pot on the sidewalk marked "Tips"....and it was plainly empty as was the reason why.

Upon arriving at Paddy's.....discovered the door was padlocked. So...back on Pat and Turner and down the hill I went. Along the way I was intercepted by a fellow who had a pair of pants whose seat hung down to the back of his knees....who muttered something in a foreign language, derived from Rap and Ebonics, to which I smiled and said "No Thanks!" and passed on by.

I fell into a bar called the "Barbary Coast"....now that was an experience. Can you say "contra-culture"?

Remember the Buskers?

As I was stood at the bar....minding my own business...playing with the two large dogs (canines) in the place...in stumbled one of the Buskers wearing the blue bean pot as a hat...drunk on his hind end. Without any preamble he pushed me aside...shoved my change away...and ordered a beer. Upon getting the beer....he turned around and the two dogs went bonkers! Dogs do have an innate capability to be good judges of character. They confirmed it by instantly turning into junk yard dogs with this guy. Good Puppy!

One beer there then back out the door headed for the pickup truck parked by the Irish joint. Along the way...a chunky little blonde girl suggested she knew where I could find a good time....and I perceived she was willing to be my companion in that endeavour. Keeping in form with the earlier contact with some of the local color....I again said "No Thanks!"

Before I could get more than a few steps past Blondie.....a drunken fellow...hollered for me to wait up...which I did not. He ran up....slurringly asked if I had a cigarette and dashed off as I did not. He then partnered up with another pedestrian and spent a block trying to find a cure for his nicotine fit to no avail. The pedestrian reported he would be looking to trade his Black Lab for a Rottweiler if such things kept occurring as he walked his pooch about Wilmington.

As I was crossing the street to the pickup....refrains of some very good 60's music sounded forth from the Front Street Brewery. A quick U-turn and across the street and it was time to sit down at the bar....have some locally brewed Scottish Ale (7.3 percent alcohol by volume) and Sweet Potato Chips with molten Gorganzola Cheese....while the music played.

Misson accomplished.....an enjoyable time had in downtown Wilmington. What more can a guy ask for....a fine ale...good snacks...oldies music....lovely bartender....and all the animal life one cares to watch.

Weather report shows a bad week coming up....lots of wind and very cold temperatures. Will be a good opportunity to stay at the dock and continue the safari's into downtown Wilmington!

No comments:

Post a Comment