Back in September I installed a nice new Raymarine Fish Finder Module to complete the electronics fit on the boat. The day before I was to pull out and head north the Helm and Nav Station displays decided to drop the Fish Finder and only display the radar and map functions....but only the Radar at the helm and the Map at the Nav Station. I could have lived with the reverse but as boaters know....that is just not going to happen.
Intial efforts to trouble shoot this situation lead me to believe the lower display at the Nav Station was defective. I then engaged in a search for a replacement and after discussing the situation with a technician, I went to Ebay and won a bid for a replacement display identical to the one on the helm station thinking I would up-grade the lower display to color.
After getting an email from Raymarine Customer support, I dragged out my Ohm meter and checked the lower display to discover it is okay. A long search of the boat for some special screw driver tips to remove the anti-theft screws on the helm display was fruitless thus a trip to the tool store was made. I now have a tip set for every possible combination of screws!
Off with the helm display....checked it with the Ohm meter and it was found to be good.
Being a bit curious....I disconnected one lead from the lower display and instantly the two displays worked great for Map and Radar but no fish finder. Seems I have one spare display now and a defunct fish finder module....the newest part of the system.
The technician is booked for the end of this week.....what the heck...might as well wait for him to show up and figure out what is wrong with the fish finder.
Boats....you just got to love'em!
Docked in Brunswick
14 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment