While living in Nigeria and walking from work at the Shell Oil Camp back to my company provided mansion outside the Shell Camp fenced and gated compound....there were many local cafe's from which to enjoy indigenous dishes. When the food was ready....the "Chop is Ready" signs...chalk scrawled hand writing on painted boards...would be displayed.
Billy the Propane Man just blessed Luna's now restored system and suggested I should renew my acquaintance with both the galley stove and the gas grill. I shall certainly do just that! I believe a good chicken Curry would hit the spot tonight and Pork Chops on the grill tomorrow.
While waiting for Billy to show up, I helped the Cat overhaul a raw water wash down pump that had decided to go on strike. I removed the pump and sat down at the dinette to dissemble the thing. Frady, who was sleeping only as Cats can do in the corner of the dinette seats opened one eye and took a few minutes to contemplate what was going on.
Curiosity and Cats is a thing that will never cease to entertain you. Frady propped up on the corner of the table and kept his nose stuck in the way as I worked. He of course knows more about water pumps than I do.....which suggests how little I do know.
After taking the thing apart and confirming the motor was not turning.....thus the blown fuses at the helm station....I took a pair of pliers and some WD-40 and worked the rotor free and reassembled the pump. I checked the towel to make sure all the bits and pieces were accounted for....then took the one bit Frady had taken as a souvenir and did the routine all over again.
The pump works fine.....and will go into the spares locker as I ordered up a new one from Defender. The new one will put out more water at a slightly higher pressure which should make cleaning the mud off the chain and anchors must easier. The other one was suffering from Old Man's Disease or something as it did not throw a lot of water.
So...when the new pump arrives and gets installed....the freezer gets stocked...the grocery stash gets topped off....some adult malt beverages stashed....and the Cat gets Shanghai'ed we're off to the bounding Main or non-bounding waterway!
Docked in Brunswick
14 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment