Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Marine Life in Beaufort, NC.

Awoke this morning and took the opportunity to clean boat....and sort out a bit of a mess that had accumulated in the past week or so. It makes it so nice when you can walk on carpet instead of dirty underwear and smelly Tee shirts. Frady was beginning to spend most of his time above decks as he sensed the presence of a Billy Goat down below I think.

Pulled into the Morehead Yacht Basin for fuel and had a nice visit with Mike the Dockmaster. Always good to see him and catch up on gossip. Looking at all the mega million dollar Sport Fishing boats I felt like the Klampetts in Hollywood. After fueling I motored over to Town Creek Marina with the intent to anchor there for the night. The sailing school was in session and had set up shop in the anchorage and channel right at the marina. Trying to stay out of their way....got Luna stuck on a mud bar. As the tide was rising.....about a half hour later I was off and headed to the Fort Macon Coast Guard station as my alternate anchorage. In a weak moment I decided to run into Beaufort Creek and spend the night there. After a couple of tries at finding a spot....I gave up and drifted off down the creek until I found the end of the line of sailboats and set the anchor, fired up the Gennie....and cranked up the air conditioners!

Now as to marine life at Beaufort....usual schools of bait fish jumping out of the water....some Porpoises snorkling around....birds dipping small fish from the creek....and two boatloads of the scuzziest floatsam I have seen ever. They were moored out on the creek in small sailboats....both of which looked like derelicts. One fellow made Charlie Manson look sane.....and just one look at him convinced me to find another place for the night. The other boat load were self appointed mooring monitors and boat handling critics. I suggested their time would be better spent if they showed some interest in a bar of soap and some hot water as their expertise at giving boat handling instruction suffered from a poor professional image.

Perhaps later I shall take the Dink for a run and see if I can wear out my Fish Billy. It would improve the ambiance of the Beaufort Water Front and exorcise some demons that have been building up of late. The good ol' days of Nightsticks, Lead Saps, and ample opportunity to vent frustration through the use of Applied Psychology. Some people just need an ass kicking!

Cape Lookout tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment