Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Visit With the Winston-Salem Journal Editorial Board

Yesterday was an interesting day for sure.

I attended the weekly meeting of the Editorial Board of the Winston-Salem Journal in Winston-Salem. The experience was quite enjoyable and demonstrated how they attempt to serve the best interests of the community as they formulate their Editorials and select articles for the other portions of the Editorial section of the paper and try to coordinate their work with the News department.

Their discussion of issues was interesting and show they are not the complete boobs and loons I have accused them of in the past....far from it actually. Granted, having met them I find it somehow a wonder how some of the articles get written as they are. Perhaps there is a ghost writer living in the Journal building that haunts the hallways or something.

One comment about their on-going relationship with a prominent politician tickled me.....and I wish they could have applied to more than just the one they mentioned. If they could then I would be much more supportive of their work than I am.

I will be reading their work with much more interest now that I have seen the way they go about arriving at their positions they set forth in their Editorials.

I notice I lost Nick Lappos as a follower due to my political rants of the past few days and will miss having him around. Nick and I fall on opposite sides of many issues despite our common background as Army Helicopter Pilots with Vietnam service.

I guess my views about Politicians not paying their taxes must have offended him but in light of recent events....that being two of Obama's Cabinet picks having to withdraw validates my concerns. I certainly am glad to see Daschle gone.....and view that as a huge loss to Obama's goal of nationalizing our health care system. I do find it a bit odd that Geithner remains as the Treasury Secretary with control of the IRS despite his tax problems.

News accounts indicate General Zinni withdrew from his appointment as Ambassador to Iraq without any reason being given....and the Labor Department appointee has problems of undisclosed reasons that might prevent that confirmation.

The Obama administration is beginning to look very bad with the lobbyists being appointed after promises there would be none....and the others being caught for tax law violations.

Now we are confronted with Obama demanding we hurry through this Stimulus Package Bill without getting hung up on the details. The last time we did this under the Bush Administration we wound up with a failure......and I fail to see the wisdom of hurrying into another one that is the largest ever spending Bill in the history of the Nation.

Pennsylvania Governor Rendel today said the non-stimulus spending in the Stimulus Bill was for programs the country needs and that they might not be approved in a standard budget appropriation thus we should include them in the Stimulus Bill.

What amazing logic!

The Democratic Party thinking at its best!

No comments:

Post a Comment