Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Sound Effects

Sound adds to the pleasures of life.

While sitting here updating this blog.... a large Owl landed on a spreader on the main mast and began "hooting"...much to the consternation of the Ship's Cat. What a wonderful sound! Alas, he flew off before I got a good look at him.

The other night a movie was playing and the start of the film had a baby crying. Frady started from a sound sleep and immediately sought out the noise by putting his nose to the speaker. I thought that a bit unusual as he has never reacted to any other movies or music in that way. A few nights later, another movie scene had a baby crying and he did the same thing but this time came all the way from the Vee Berth and his second most favorite sleeping spot. Again he went right to the speaker as though he was looking for the baby. Interesting creatures these felines!

We had a good day out on Sunday, weather was warm and clear with barely enough wind to get the sails up and filled. We motored sailed south along the Cape Fear towards Bald Head Island and then turned around and retraced our path but went on into downtown Wilmington. We did the downtown part of the trip just at Sunset while we had a lovely Curry dinner.

The Moon was full and very bright as we made our way into the marina. Shannon was at the helm, Katie was spotting markers with the spotlight, and I was giving helm orders (as if I knew what I was doing!) The tide was at dead low when we left and we bumped bottom twice but did not get stuck. So much for the six foot minimum in the channel but it was at the lowest tide due to the Moon period.

One of my helmspersons did manage to find a mud bank down by the channel that leads to Snow's Cut but with all hands aft....and a bit of wiggling we were soon out of the mud and back into the channel. I was busily rigging the hammock and did not realize we had gotten into shallow water....but as I said at the time...."This isn't the first time Luna has gotten muddy!"

Katie definitely knows her way around boats and Shannon has the making of a real sailor. When the weather warms up hopefully we will have the opportunity to take Luna out into the oceanan and enjoy some real sailing. I hope I do not have to resort to an old time "shanghai'ing" to recruit Katie and Shannon as crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment