Interesting week it was.
Got shifted from a fixed dock to a floating dock and took the opportunity to fuel, pump out, and fill fresh water tanks in the move from one dock to another.
The next day....while walking bare foot back into the aft cabin I discovered the walkthru carpet was soaking wet along the edge of the bulkhead behind which the Port side water tank hides. Being a wizard, I quickly discerned the source of that "wet" was the Port side water tank...oddly enough.
After a couple of days messing with the thing....and fearing I would have to replace this tank as I did the starboard side tank....relief was had when I figured out I had over filled the tank. After running a portable heater into the tank compartment all was back to normal. Carpet back down and dry....leak stopped....life is good.
Wrong assumption there.....the day after putting the water tank back into operation I managed to once again play squishy toes in wet carpet. This time it was in the forward cabin....within which hides the forward Head holding tank. It was only partially holding it seems. Upon digging into this new and delightful problem....I discovered the Pump Out Hose fitting had been partially torn away from the flexible bladder that is the holding tank. The tank had thereupon taken a leak into the the forward part of the boat, soaked the forward cabin carpet, leaked into the bilge under the main cabin area.....and just plain made a mess.
Two days of great fun has gotten the boat cleaned up, dried out, and de-odorized. The old bladder is in the dumpster and the boat now smells like a Greyhound Bus Station men's room with all of the Pine Sol I poured into the problem.
After Christmas, I will glass in the holding tank compartment to make it a "Tub", install the new bladder and a new fill hose that leads from the head.
Weather is windy and getting colder.....as a Cold Front blows through. Frady made a short visit ashore after his dinner but returned for his evening slumber on the settee. He is slowly getting used to the idea of being a boat kitty but having grown up Feral, he is taking some time making the transistion.
My current slip is adjacent to a very nice Nordhavn 40.....one of the Nordhavn's that did the around the world cruise....it wears a decal showing 26,000 Miles in 26 Weeks. It is a really impressive boat! A couple of boats down is a very nice 35' Foot Hatteras Convertible....came from the Great Lakes and does not even have rod holders installed....much less all the outriggers and such as is normal in these parts. Across the way is a very nice 42' Krogen Trawler....makes me wonder why I was born handsome instead of rich!
When I poke my head out into the cold tomorrow....I will think of Earl and Vic down in the Sunny South worrying about skin cancer, coral heads, and bad rum!
Docked in Brunswick
14 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment