Safely at Mom's place recovering from the long weekend in Savannah with the Combat Hel's icopter Pilot's Association (CHPA) crowd who gathered there. Why Dexter and I were not even close to going to jail during the visit....old age is cramping our style.
I found a new home at Kevin Barry's, an Irish Bar located at 117 West River Street in downtown Savannah. The place is simply "magic"! Great food, lots of adult malt beverage choices....and full of military folks.....real war fighting military folks and sometimes a few Air Force types show up too.
Yesterday was a very long day....we hit Kevin's shortly after Lunch for an ad hoc staff meeting and wound up finishing the day off about One in the morning. I can strongly recommend the Irish Stew and Shepherd's Pie.....and the half gallon of single malt whiskey provided. The music was provided by Frank Emerson....a very talented entertainer who sings a few songs in the evening along with about a hundred and fifty toasts. Every song requested seems to be his favorite one.....and despite a touch of Irish in him he does Scottish as well.
I tipped glasses with Privates right on up to a Brigadier during the course of the day and evening. Dexter wimped out about supper time.....which was good as I would have had to carry him home in a wheel barrel if he had stayed much longer.
It is an amazingly small world....flew with one of the guys in Alaska, and knew some friends in common with a couple of the others in the CHPA. After being a Life Member in the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association (VHPA) for many years.....I find this CHPA to be one more along the likes I can enjoy. They allow....and want crewmembers to join the association as well....and wish to include those wonderful guys in our activities and programs. Now all we have to is start spreading the word!
Early night tonight....too little sleep and way....way too much fun.....liquid style over the weekend.
As I left the Pub last night I got a big hug from some of the Bar Tenders......really made an Old Man's night I can tell you! One of the young lass's Ranger boyfriend has been seriously wounded in Afghanistan and is enroute to Landstuhl for treatment that will prepare him to travel home for his longterm treatment. I reminded Sara that a lot of us have him in our Prayers.....and her too. Having taken a similar ride home from Vietnam in 1970....I fully understand what they are going through and my heart goes out to them and all the other young folks that are paying the bill for our Freedom. It certainly moves one to see such strength in our young folks....they continue to do us Old Soldiers proud!

No comments:
Post a Comment